Animals might be able to fend for themselves in the wild, but sometimes, man made things can put them in so much danger that they can’t get out of it alone. This story is a perfect example of how human activity can affect animals. Two boys were strolling down a street in Argentina, when they saw something shocking. A dog was completely drenched in tar.

It’s not sure whether the poor dog fell into the tar by himself, or if someone intentionally threw him in there and left him there to die. They knew he needed help immediately if he were to survive.

The poor dog could barely move when he was rushed to Zoonosis Lanus shelter. The volunteers had to perform a 5-hour-long cleaning process to remove all the tar.

“We bought a lot of things, we watched tutorials on the Internet, and we were trying and checking all the products and their results,” said volunteer Myriam Ortellado. “Firstly, it was impossible to clean it, and then we started using oil and step by step it worked, but we used five liters of oil.”

The dog was named Petro, which meant “petroleum” in Spanish. The vets were initially quite worried about intoxication, as the tar had made its way into the dog’s ears, nostrils and even intestines. Despite all that, Petro is healthy and is getting stronger every day.

His rescuers said he would be neutered and put up for adoption so that he can get a loving forever home soon. The poor guy has been through a lot, but at least he has a better future ahead of him now.

SHARE this amazing story with everyone you know!