When a 63-year-old resident of Port Elizabeth, South Africa,
Charmaine Keevy rescued a Dachshund named Georgie, she never thought he was going to do something this miraculous.
And yet, here we are.
The day started just like any other.
The pair were out in the morning, taking a walk when Georgie suddenly stopped beside a storm drain and started barking at the opening. Charmaine thought she heard meowing noises coming out of the drain and went to check.
But to her horror, she found an abandoned baby.
The drain had a concrete slab over it. So, Charmaine flagged it down before calling for help. The man who intervened was Cornie Viljoen. The two together used a steel bar to open the concrete slab. Cornie knew that the drain was more than 6-feet deep but he went in without hesitation and got stung by red ants in the process.
“When I got into the hole it was higher than my head and it was so narrow that I had to go down on my knees and I couldn’t bend over so had to feel down for the baby below,” he said. “The red ants were stinging my legs but then I felt this baby’s leg and then saw the baby and I realized that this was a crime scene so I took a flash picture and handed my phone up to Charmaine. I didn’t know if the baby was injured so I tried to pick her up very carefully and very slowly and she was so small. I just wanted to hold her for a while but I knew that she needed urgent medical help.”
Luckily, the baby was safe–far away from the red ants. The baby was so small, and still had the umbilical cord attached to her. After the police arrived at the scene, they took the baby to a hospital.
They believe that the person who left the baby in the drain also closed it off with a slab.
“There is a possibility that the person who did this may have come from outside the area and placed the child there. We are appealing for witnesses and the mother of this baby to come forward.” Colonel Priscilla Naidu said.
While the doctors treated the baby for hypothermia and respiratory problems, they also found out that the baby had been in the drain for hours.
Charmaine saw this as no less than a miracle. She usually took Georgie for a walk in a different path but it was a small change that shifted everything. The baby was named Grace April.
She posted an update on her Facebook page.
It was all thanks to Georgie that baby came out safe and sound. We are forever grateful to this brave little dog.
SHARE this post with everyone you know!