Kate Schacksfield recently took a healthy step of swapping sugar for her brownie recipe for a low- calorie artificial substitute, and regretted it greatly when her beloved Hungarian Vizsla, Ruby, had to suffer from it.

Facebook/Kate Chacksfield

As a great fan of snacking, Ruby often sneak in the kitchen for a few brownies. Even the toxic chocolate never harmed Ruby. But that unlucky day, Ruby ate two brownies with Xylitol in them and she fell dangerously sick within 36 hours.

Ruby’s liver had already been damaged by the tiny Ruby was rushed to the hospital. The next 8 days, Kate did everything she could to save Ruby and even spent thousands of dollars to repair her liver. Sadly, her liver could not be repaired, and she lost her life.

Facebook/Kate Chacksfield

Kate was left completely devastated after Ruby’s death. She was a very loving and playful dog and she felt like it was all just so unfair. She knew she could not let the same happen to other dog parents who love their pooches more than anything. So, she started spreading awareness among everyone.

Facebook/Kate Chacksfield

Often used in artificial sweeteners, Xylitol is an alcohol-based sugar that helps to keep the calorie count low. However, even a tiny amount of this chemical is poison for dogs. Xylitol is often mixed in candies, jams and jellies, chewing gum and peanut butter as well.

Facebook/Kate Chacksfield

Too make sure this harmful chemical is out of your dog’s reach, always check the ingredients list for Xylitol. Given that, it is important for us to look out for our beloved pooches and me vigilant when it comes to things they eat.

SHARE this post with everyone you know!