While walking down the neighbourhood in Manchester, England one day, Janine Dawson heard frightened meows from somewhere nearby. She was concerned enough to take the time and trace the source of the noise. Upon following, she realized that the meowing was coming from her neighbour’s cat named Simba—and he was stuck between two houses.
The adventurous cat had somehow managed to fall in a tiny gap between the two houses. However, he couldn’t get himself out. After realizing that he couldn’t get out on his own. He started meowing until someone finally found him. Dawson immediately contacted RSPCA in hopes of finding help.
The RSPCA sent animal collection officer Emma Pollard and inspector Nichola Waterworth right away to handle the situation. Both of them were in shock when they first saw how stuck Simba was. They feared they were not equipped enough.
“The poor cat was well and truly stuck in the gap and was crying very loudly,” Pollard said in a press release. “At one point, I feared we wouldn’t be able to free him.”
Pollard tried pulling the cat free by sticking her hand down the gap but it was too narrow. A few failed attempts later, they called Heywood Community Fire Crew for help.
The firefighters wanted to remove some bricks to be able to access Simba more easily. However, Simba suddenly got a burst of energy before they could do anything.
Because of that, he moved closer to the firefighters and they were finally able to pull him out of the gap safely.
Simba was meowing throughout the rescue letting his rescuers know that he was still fighting to be free.
“When he was finally pulled free he was very subdued so we took him to the RSPCA’s Greater Manchester Animal Hospital for a check-up where he was given the all-clear,” Pollard said. “It’s great when a rescue like this has a happy ending and we are able to reunite a much-loved pet with their owner.”
Sania Anwar, Simba’s owner was at work the entire time and Dawson told her everything when she got home. She also told her that Simba was safe. Anwar then quickly set off towards the animal hospital to pick Simba up. She was delighted to see Simba safe and unharmed.
“Normally when I come home from work and park on the driveway Simba always comes running up to meet me, but he didn’t that day,” Anwar said in a press release. “When I got back home that evening, Janine came out to meet me and I knew straight away there would be something wrong with Simba. I’m so grateful to her and those who rescued him.”
SHARE this post with everyone you know!